Like I said before, the school year is winding down and I am pretty busy! So no time for a long blog post today, but I figured I would at least show you this awesome progress photo taken by my friend when she was visiting from Florida! It is amazing the difference 2 years can make…
I know… talking about Summer already and it has barely gotten up above 60 degrees, but already a lot of plans are in the making! This Sunday, I will be doing my first horse show with my OWN horse. I have never done this before, and I am both excited and scared out of my mind. Daisy and I have come so far in the past couple of years (with the help of such wonderful people!) and I am really excited to show her off. On the other hand, I never quite know what is going to happen, and you know what they say about the “unknown”….
It’s a big freaky place!
And last year, I definitely wouldn’t have shown… but my confidence is slowly improving. I am much more willing to say “Oh well. Lets do it!” Instead of the whole “Are you sure? I don’t think I should…” I have to admit, I much prefer living life with the “lets do it” attitude than being afraid of what is around every corner.
Not only am I attempting horse shows this year, but I also signed up for my first 5K! I have always wanted to do a Color Run, and it turns out there is going to be a similar race while I am down in Virginia Beach visiting my brother, his beautiful wife, and the cutest little baby in the world!
I am so excited to give this a shot! I am super slow, but it doesn’t matter. I know it is going to be a blast, and it will be a great bonding experience with my sister-in-law! I have until July 20th to work on improving my speed! We shall see what happens!
This week has been off with my eating due to that wonderful TOM. Sometimes being a girl sucks, and for whatever reason, I cannot say no to cravings during this time. It just does not happen. So I have had a lot of chocolate (mostly dark) and even got Chinese food! Ooops. But I have still been fairly active — only was stuck on the couch all day on Sunday, but for the most part I have at least managed to walk 2 miles every day. I am fairly certain the scale will not be completely nice to me this week, but that’s okay because I know it is mostly water weight regardless, and next week I will kick some serious butt!
The school year is winding down fast. I found out I currently have one of the highest grades in my public speaking class! Boo yah. I actually like public speaking. I like preparing what I am going to say before I say it. Then I can trick people into thinking I am witty because in all honesty, it takes me like an hour to come up with silly remarks after the fact. I am not so good at the whole “thinking on my toes” thing. That is why I love note cards. I can fool people into believing I am articulate and interesting… and seriously, that’s an awesome feeling!
How is everyone’s week going? Do you have any “firsts” coming up? Lets hear it!
Sorry for the lack of posts the past two days. My friend was up from Florida and Tuesday/Wednesday morning was the only time I had to spend with her. It was amazing since our other high school friend came down so all three of us could be united for an afternoon of Fruit Ninja, dancing and bowling! Oh yeah, we had a fairly active Tuesday and then used up all the calories we burned to go out to eat at a Japanese restaurant. This sort of put a bit of a kink in my salad-a-day challenge since I had been planning on a salad for dinner and did not really have one at lunch. So I ended up having 2 small salads instead at the restaurant and then ate half of my Pad Thai. Yummy.
Wednesday morning, my friend and I decided to go on a 4 mile walk to get an iced mocha latte, and because I really wanted to walk up the big hill near my apartment. It was such a nice work out and we did it all under an hour! Pretty impressive. For lunch, I made us Coconut Chicken Salad – a recipe I got over at Skinnytaste.com
Then it was time to part ways… which really breaks my heart since she would be such an amazing work out buddy to have live close! I am motivating my friend to do the 4 mile walk with me at least once a week starting on Sunday! It is get to start getting in shape for hiking thanks to the giant hill of doom! (I have to remember to take a picture some time so you guys can visualize it!).
I felt a little guilty about not having a big huge salad on Tuesday so I made up for it by having ANOTHER salad for dinner Wednesday night: Leftovers from Monday!
The taco salad is very easy to put together. My husband browned up the turkey meat, and then added 2 red peppers and an onion and sauteed that with the meat. He is the seasoning God so I am not 100% sure of the measurements since he pretty much does it all by feel and taste. All I know is that it has salt, cumin, chili powder, a little bit of garlic powder, onion powder, and a little dash of cayenne chili powder (since spiciness kills me).
The 4 mile walk yesterday was not enough, so the husband and I also went to the gym where I ran 2.5 miles. Part of that was bumping up the incline to 15% and working on building up those hiking muscles! It was killer.
Today’s game plan is to get caught up on homework that I have been slacking on for a whole entire week, go horseback riding, and then most likely walk to my friend’s house for game night (where I plan to bring all the candy I have left over from the movies to get it out of the apartment for good! Way too tempting).
How is your week going?
This weekend was a little up and down in terms of exercise and weight loss. I was fairly active for the most part. I went on half hour walks both on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday, I also had a riding lesson on my horse Daisy to work on getting show ready. It was a wonderful lesson and I really enjoyed it! Definitely going to be doing it again soon. That also burned a little extra calories. Friday, I went to the gym before splurging on some food.
Yes, food was not 100% perfect this weekend but it was not too bad either. I stayed fairly close to my calorie intake while still enjoying a good time among friends and families. Yesterday a group of us drove 2 hours down to Southern Maine to see Jurassic Park in 3D IMAX. Totally worth it. On this trip, I did splurge a little and ate some candy pieces while watching the movie. Regardless, I really did not eat that much candy (got to love those pieces! especially the dark chocolate york peppermint ones). So like I said, not the best weekend but not the worse weekend either!
Today starts a new week, and I am another step closer to ending out my first semester of becoming a Nutritionist. YAY. I am feeling pretty confident about this semester. This week will be a long one, though. A lot of big projects to accomplish! Also, I plan on being very active this week. Today, I plan on going horseback riding this afternoon, then going to the gym for 45 minutes to an hour, and then doing some cleaning!
Today also marks the beginning of the Salad-A-Day Challenge! The husband and I are going to be making a Turkey Taco Salad. Yummy! Pictures will be posted tonight over on my Facebook Page.
I know it’s Monday. But it means you have all these days between now and the weekend to kick ass and be healthy!
Well hello people!
First I would like to tell you about 2 challenges I will be participating in so maybe you can join along in at least one of them! The first challenge is actually being put on by my sister-in-law with some of her close friends. Everyone has donated $25 dollars to go towards the pot and whoever loses the biggest percentage of their weight by June 1st gets it all! You can bet I am highly motivated to kick some butt on this one. Definitely need you guys to keep me in line!
Challenge Numero Two-o (yeah I just did that) is the reboot of the Salad-A-Day Challenge started by L @ Trying Not to Be Fat. Basically it requires that you eat one salad for one meal during the day for a whole entire week. I have told the husband about it and he actually jumped on board! So starting Monday, that is what we are going to do. Some may not be as creative as others but I am definitely going to do my best to make some decent salads! Anyone who wants to join, join! Lets make salads delicious and not boring!
Now drum roll please! The moment you have all been waiting for! The dreaded weigh-in DUN DUN DUN.
Starting Weight: 267
Previous Weight: 188
Today’s Weight: 187
Lost 1 pound this week! Not too shabby. Not too shabby at all!
Today is going to be a busy day for me with a long day of classes, horseback riding, and then going to the gym. I would really like to get to 180 by the beginning of May. Here is to a successful and busy weekend– Full steam ahead! Choo Choo!
I realized how outdated all these things were! I had lost 20 pounds since I had last updated my About Me/Progress Picture and my Monthly Goals were from November! Ugh! So all that needed an overhaul! I also have to update my 100 goals since I had definitely completed a few of them in the past few months. What goals are you asking? Well I am glad you ask because I actually have pictures of a few of them!
Go back to California to hang out with my other soulmate, Lindsay (Completed March 5th – 11th, 2013)
See a live Orca (Completed March 8th, 2013)
Go on a Rollercoaster that goes upside down (Completed March 14, 2013)
I don’t have a picture of this yet… but it still happened! I have witnesses! Sort of. She may or may not have fallen asleep, and the husband went on it with me!
Make a snowman (February 27, 2013)
Also a snow angel (Sometime in January 2013)
Unfortunately, no pictures of this… but it did happen this year! It was just really dark out when it did happen!
Something that did happen that was not on my list but should have been…
MEET A DOLPHIN
Yeah. That happened!
The thing some people forget to mention when you are on this incredibly hard journey of weight loss is how WORTH it is… not because you will look and feel fantastic… but because your confidence will shoot up and you will take chances you would have never done before because you were too afraid. Say yes to more opportunities!
I know what is going on in that head of yours. You are frustrated by the amount of weight you have been putting on over the years. Maybe the weight was sudden. Maybe the weight slowly but surely added itself to your thighs, hips, and stomach. Whatever the case may be, you are sick of it. Summer is just around the corner in the Northern Hemisphere, and you want to look awesome. You want quick results and you want them now. I totally understand your pain, but unfortunately quick weight loss is not good weight loss. Most likely you will gain all that weight back as soon as you stop the program.
Here is how you know it is a fad diet:
1. They guarantee fast weight loss results (LIKE OMG, 2 weeks from now you will be 10 pounds less! And have incredible abs like these models on screen! Here are some
digitally enhanced REAL LIFE people who have had success with our product).
2. They require you to buy their products. (You can only lose weight if you eat our very expensive, small portion meals! Or this shake 3x a day… all for the low price of three payments of $25.99. SCORE!)
3. They cut out complete food groups! (Fat is bad, Carbs are bad, Protein is bad! Instead lose 50 pounds by eating sticks! High in fiber, low in cals!)
I know you want the digital abs and the prepackaged mumbo jumbo. I get it. It seems so easy! Follow their plan, look gorgeous by summer. Unfortunately, these results will do more damage than good. Lets break this down for you!
1. Fast Weight Loss Results - I know you want it but when your body loses weight fast, it also means it will put weight on fast. If you do not give your body time to adjust, your adipose tissue will crave for ways to be filled with fat. That means one slip up and that narrowing waist will be filling up in no time! Also, you know what fast weight loss is associated with? SICK PEOPLE. Sick people lose weight fast. Why? Because things are not working right in their body! Important nutrients are missing that are keeping certain functions from actually happening! I know you are thinking all these wonderful toxins are leaving your body. You can tell because you are peeing ALL the time. Guess what else is in that pee? Protein and calcium! They are abandoning ship because things are going to hell in your body. I know, the bottle says 100% of everything you could ever possibly need but your body does not absorb everything 100%. Also certain vitamins and minerals compete with absorption if they are taken together. Be careful with what you eat (or don’t eat). Watch out for too much caffeine. Yes, caffeine can stimulate your metabolism… but certain products have as much as 10 cups of coffee worth of caffeine in them! Why don’t you drink that much caffeine? Oh because it causes dizziness and irregular heart beat? Now, that can’t be good…
2. Only Buy Their Products! You cannot lose weight without it! If you try to stray from the path, you will certainly fall into a pit of depression, self-pity, and low self esteem! If a diet preaches about their products, there is a good chance that they care more about the money and less about your health. Do not shovel the cash over to them. Do some budgeting. If you cut back on portions, buy healthier foods at the grocery store, plan out your meals for the week, make some meals ahead of time and shove them in the freezer, I guarantee you will be way better off in the long run. Also, what happens when you lose all the weight and no longer can afford their products? Oh wait, you really have no idea about proper portion sizes and healthy foods? You have no idea how to eat without supplementing a shake for at least 2 of your meals? Do you really want to live this way for the REST OF YOUR LIFE?
3. CUT OUT FOOD GROUPS IF YOU WANT TO LIVE. Unless a doctor has specifically said to cut out a certain food group from your life, do not do it. Each food group plays a very important role in your body, and having too much of a certain food group can have negative affects on your body. Example: Atkins’s diet. They really push to not have carbohydrates, at least not until you are near a certain goal. They claim they will turn your body into a fat burning machine. I will give them this… if you give your body fat, and only fat, it will burn fat. But guess what? If you do low impact to moderate activity, you are burning fat anyway! The only reason you are losing a crapton of weight in those first few weeks is because your body has no idea what the heck you are doing to it! You are also probably missing some important minerals and vitamins that come in the shape of grains and fruit. Each food group plays an important role: Carbohydrates are easily broken down to glucose and provide energy (no matter the activity level so if you are doing strenuousness activity, glucose can still function without oxygen for a short period of time). Proteins are the building blocks for muscle as well as enzyme function. You do not want to eat in a way that forces your body to break down proteins! The body does not want to do it and it will say “bye bye” to muscle mass before it says “bye bye” to fat storage. Muscle takes more calories to maintain. If you are giving cues that you are in a place where nutrients are sparse, your body is going to respond in a way to guarantee survival. Lipids help in the delivery of vitamins that are fat-soluble: A, D, E, and K. Lipids are also the building blocks for your cell membranes. Too much fat on the other hand causes an increase in cholesterol, and it is not always the good cholesterol either. Be careful of a diet that involves a lot of fat. Even if it says “good fat,” because even too much of a good thing can become a bad thing.
I get it — you are willing to take some risks to look good for at least one week, but fad diets lead to yo-yo diets, and sudden decreases in weight back to sudden increases in weight puts a lot of strain on the body. I urge you to get all the facts from a nutritionist before claiming you know it all because of what the interwebs tell you. Everyone is trying to make it in this world, and so many people are going to try to lure you in.
Fad diets do not work in the long run. You know what works? Knowing that this is going to be a long, daunting task that can save YOUR LIFE. It is not just about your weight, but the health of your heart, liver, kidneys and brain! If you are overweight, you are putting a strain on them. Now don’t you think they deserve a chance to have the very best?
Signs of a Healthy Diet
1. You lose 1 – 2 pounds on average a week. (You may lose a little more, a little less. No guarantees on this one!)
2. You are not restricted by anything, but it advised to not eat a lot of snacks that are high in calories and low in nutrition. But if you eat that candy bar, it is not the end of the program! Keep trying to change your habits.
3. You get 30 minutes of physical activity a day, or 3 hours of high intensity physical activity a week.
4. You feel good about yourself, not because the numbers on the scale are going down, but because there is a balance in your body! Energy improves.
5. No one is shoving their products down your throat. You are in charge of your own life.
6. You are not eating below 1,000 calories (unless you are on a special regimen with a nutritionist/doctor). Your body needs 1200 calories to survive. Nothing about starvation mode. This is the calories your organs burn to thrive. Do not deny your organs of happiness because you want to fit into a bikini.
Commit to health! You owe yourself at least that much.