With my Crock Pot!
Yesterday was my first time experience using a crock pot… I am a little behind on the times! Now I have no idea why it took the husband and I so long to actually get one! What have we been doing all this time? Luckily the husband had some prior experience so he could give me some worldly advice of the device but for the most part I tackled the first dish all by myself. I decided to go with something simple and easy… Chicken and Dumplings. Also, I needed things that I know would be soft and easy to manage since I still do not have a very good handle on my chewing (it is getting better, though! Every day there is remarkable improvement… at least I think so).
The recipe I found online was a little lacking so I decided to wing it a little bit and it turned out absolutely delicious. It is so easy to throw together so it is perfect for when you are feeling rushed. These are the ingredients:
2 Cans of Cream of Chicken Soup (I got the 98% fat free… but you can also get the healthy recipe)
2 tablespoons of butter
2 Cups of Water
2 heaping teaspoons chicken bouillon
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (or about 1.5 pounds of chicken)
One package of refrigerated biscuit dough
1. Dump one can of the cream of chicken soup into the crock pot
2. Put the chicken breasts on top of that.
3. Season with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning so the breasts are covered. Add a dash of garlic powder.
4. Cover with the second can of cream of chicken.
5. Fill with water so chicken is covered. (it took me about 2 cups)
6. Add 2 teaspoons of chicken bouillon and the 2 tablespoons of butter.
7. Set to High if you want the meal to be done in 5 – 6 hours, set to Low if it is going to be cooking for 8+ hours.
8. A half hour before serving, break biscuit dough into small bite size clumps and drop into the slow cooker. Serve once the dough is cooked in the center (about 30 minutes).
I served mine with really cooked broccoli (needed it mushy so I could actually eat it) and it was sooo delicious!
It makes about 4 – 5 servings. About 500 calories.
So delicious. I highly recommend it!