I absolutely love this recipe. It is delicious, and a good “go to” when my vegetarian mom and sister come over for dinner. It does not take very much time to put together (which I like because I just seem so busy these days).
Baked Spinach Ziti (adopted from Skinnytaste.com)
12 oz uncooked pasta (I use Smart Taste Penne for mine)
28 oz crushed/chopped tomatoes (I prefer pomi)
2 red peppers
2 gloves of garlic
10oz frozen spinach
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp Italian seasonings
1 – 2 tsp garlic powder (I really love garlic, you don’t have to add it if you do not want)
8oz fat-free ricotta
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (though I have made it without it)
2 cups low – fat mozzarella
1 tsp olive oil
1. Preheat Oven to 375 F. Spray a 13×9 pan with cooking spray.
2. Heat oil in a pot. Add in chopped onion, red peppers, and garlic. Saute for a few minutes. Then add tomatoes and spinach. Bring to a boil and then let it simmer until spinach is completely cooked and no longer frozen. Add in your seasonings and salt and pepper to taste.
3. While sauce is simmering, bring a pot of water to boil and cook pasta accordingly.
4. Once spinach is thawed in sauce, add your ricotta, 1 cup of mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese. Stir together.
5. Drain pasta and add noodles to the sauce. Mix well before pouring into the 13×9 pan.
6. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and stick in oven. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and slightly brown.
This can serve 8 to 10 people. About 330 calories per serving (less if you do cut it into 10 sections). Serve with a side salad and maybe some wheat garlic bread for a more complete meal. It is very filling regardless!